D.C. Bound Day 1-2 Overnight in the Atlantic

Nine months and 5 days ago we purchased “Unforgettable”.  I am so proud of all the things my husband has accomplished during this time.  He has learned new electronics, new engines, new extensive hydraulic systems, learned how to dock “blind”, learned solar panels,  learned night vision (FLIR), learned how to deal with vacuflush potties, learned new dinghy and engine, and learned how to spend money endlessly. He has worked diligently almost every single day during that time to make the boat safe for us and our guests.

Finally, all this paid off and WE’RE OUT OF HERE!!!!

Now the worst thing a boater can do is have a schedule and guess what?  We have a schedule!  Daughter Cassandra is meeting us in in D.C. June 25 so we have 25 days to get there.  Baring serious breakdowns or horrible weather it should be no problem though.

We left Stuart at 7:00 a.m. and 3 hours later at the first bridge that required a requested opening (in Ft. Pierce) we were informed that the bridge was broke.  They suggested we anchor since it would take 1-1.5 hrs. to repair.  We had planned to stay in the ICW (Intracoastal Waterway) all the way to Cape Canaveral that day so this definitely put a glitch in our plans.  It did give us an opportunity to try our second anchor and to use the new water pump on the salt water wash down hose which worked fabulously.  We immediately conferred with our “Boat Angel”, Steve Bruckner, and decided we might as well go into the Atlantic, do our first overnighter and go to Brunswick, GA!  EXCITING!!!!  After an hour delay, as we were leaving, someone else requested an opening and they said it would be another 1-2 hrs. to repair. Whoever thought that our first night cruising would be at sea?

The weather was perfect and we learned a few things about our new electronics along the way.  The challenging part for me was to stay awake during my shift and I had been ready for a nap at 10:00 a.m.!  Some exercises to increase circulation helped a lot and fortunately, we have plenty of space for that.  Scott took the first nap and I looked near and far for a North Atlantic Right Whale since we were going through their breeding area.  Darn, I only saw cruise ships.

A beautiful afternoon on calm seas

After dinner I got the sleep shift from 9-12 and I couldn’t sleep well.  I wasn’t used to the sounds underway and especially not from our stateroom.  Also, I felt so excited about attempting an overnighter on our first day out and less “in control” of our situation down below.  Not that I was truly “in control” while in the pilot house but I had a sense of riding higher and had the ability to see with the FLIR and AIS and radar because it’s REALLY,  REALLY DARK out there on the ocean!   Thus, I woke up on my own before twelve to take the next shift piloting.

Scott had been drinking coffee and had planned on letting me sleep until 3 a.m….darn!  I missed my chance to have a full 6 hrs. sleep!  He had an intense experience with AIS and was worried that I wouldn’t know how to deal with this kind of problem so he didn’t want to sleep during darkness.  I don’t blame him…I would worry about my capabilities, too.  So, back down to bed I went and could not sleep.  Usually I am asleep when my head hits the pillow and hardly move for 8 hrs.  I basically just worried too much about everything while attempting to sleep and at 2:30 I gave up and came up to the pilot house.  I was so mad at myself for not sleeping I wasn’t cautious with my retainers and broke my bottom one, then became even more frustrated with myself. Finally, I gave up and snoozed on the pilot house settee for 2 hours.


Scott then took a 2 hour nap, and awoke to winds of over 20 kts. and some decent waves that latest about 1.5 hrs.  After breakfast I sleep another 1.5 hrs. in the pilot house then he slept 2 hrs in bed then it was lunch then into the inlet.

All in all, it was a great ride.  Being in the ocean is REAL boating.  I love the sound of the water, the fresh smell, the breezes, the gorgeous view and the constant anticipation of what animal we will see next.  We snacked, drank plenty of fluids, did some strengthening and stretching and felt great other than being tired. The boat was marvelous.  She was made for big water and can withstand much more than we can!

We covered 264 nm in 32 hrs.  We had planned on stopping in Cape Canaveral but made it to Brunswick, GA.  I’m pretty proud of how well Scott, Unforgettable and I performed with our big challenge!

We dropped the anchor right next to the channel and immediately a storm blew up with steady 30+ winds and torrential rain.  The anchor held fine and we slept like a log for 10 hours!

Next stop?  Who knows how far we will go?

5 thoughts on “D.C. Bound Day 1-2 Overnight in the Atlantic

Add yours

  1. What a first day! Glad your night at sea went so well. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on your adventures.

    Dick and Ruth


  2. Thanks for keeping us all informed of your progress. You are a GREAT writer Melissa. I see a book in the making. Enjoy & stay safe. What a great adventure.


  3. Sounds exciting! I know you’ll have safe travels. After DC you’re going to Chesapeake?

    Yes, should be lots to explore there. And to NY to visit son, Scott.


  4. Feels like you each were born for this!! Sounds like not only Unforgettable but you two have all that is needed to cruise into unforgettable journeys! Enjoy and be transformed. Al and Susan


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: